Logo

Amp output of a 1986 75HP charging circuit

leachy

Contributing Member
Hi All,

Trying to add a voltage regulator to the charging circuit of the my 1986 Model 75HP 4 cylinder motor. At the moment from factory they only fitted a rectifier and its pumping out over 17V at higher RPM. I believe there is a a Mercury regulator #88825A7 which can be fitted but these are no longer manufactured and really expensive for new old stock. So planning on making one or using one from a solar panel array but need to check the maximum output.

I believe its a type V charging electrical circuit with individual coils for the spark plugs.

Thanks
Leachy

i don't think you can get 10 AMP out of those stators....so any regulator rated over that is unnecessary...

Thanks I had a feeling it was only around 6A but just wasn't sure. Still cant believe they didn't fit a factory regulator back then.

Many motors ran fine with just a simple rectifier and no regulator.----The battery in the system must be considered.

Flooded cell (battery) technology was the norm back then and was very tolerant of the charging system...

If you find a regulator that has a lower current rating, and it is self protecting (current limiting), it wont hurt anything...

Try this

s-l500.jpg

Back