Logo

Alternator Bracket

Kenbo

I am in the process of replacing manifolds on my twin 270 Crusaders. I have removed the Osco manifolds installed by the previous owner and installing the newer style center dump Crusader manifolds. I the process, I discovered that I also needed new alternator brackets. The bracket I ordered, P/N 96422 apparently provides a bracket that is rather different than what I expected, and I am not sure how it is mounted. Any help would be most appreciated.

without knowing the specifics of the engines installed, we can only speculate about the correctness of the part. I'd suggest going back to whoever sold you the bracket to verify the application. They usually will only "mount" in one position where the alternator is positioned correctly.

It is also very common to need to change the belt's length if a different mounting bracket is used.

I sorted this out now, but in the interest of completeness, the 270 hp Crusader is a 350 cu in SBC, the specific engine is s/n 52723 in a 1986 Cruisers Sea Devil 291. The bracket I expected to receive attaches to the engine using the the two front left manifold bolts. That bracket is no longer available. The replacement attaches using 2 3/8 bolts to the front left side of the engine. As it turns out, the same belt fits fine. I did put on a new one at re-assembly just the same.

31.jpg

Barr offers a Universal Alternator bracket.
The p/n that I have is CHV-27-0083 or #98548.
Go2Marine.com lists these for $29.62

98548F-t.gif

I had to shorten the length and increase the thread depth, but have been using them for years.

Osco offers this version, of which looks like it would not need to be cut down.
BayShoreMarineEnignes.com lists these for $18+

CVCA.JPG

Last edited:
I have the osco brackets, but they bolt on using the two tapped holes on either side of the forwardmost exhaust port. The new style center dump manifold does not allow access to that tapped hole, hence the need for the new bracket.

60.jpg

This is the new bracket. It mounts to the front of the engine.

Z

Back