Logo

ALTERNATE LOWER UNIT

crankshaft

Contributing Member
This 1982 70 hp Mercury lower unit I have will fit other Merc engines. I think as low as 35. Nit sure on the upper side like 80 or more. Anyone know?

Correct it will ---" fit " ----down to a 35 HP---------Will not fit 80 HP.------And the 35 / 50 HP version had a different gear ratio then the 70 HP version. I believe.

Many suffered from issues with top cylinder dome cracking.----And lower units are not hefty.----Yes it is a light weight motor.

I will look at the top cylinder with an endoscope. It is also displacement at only 49 ci. that went up in 1984 to a big increase. Have a light ply and epoxy cruiser that I am restoring with a light transom that would work great with this outboard.

Was the 84 model the same type of 3 cylinder with internal reed valves and 2 carburetors ?---Or a totally different engine ?

Internal reeds I believe, manual tilt. Not sure, but they did a lot of changing things in those years. Cylinders are good and fairly high compression 130 ish. That choke/enrichment valve, depending on who is doing the writing of the manual it seems, seems kind of jury rigged, maybe one reason the outboard has a bad rep?

Back