Logo

Alpha one Gen 2 shaft question

markbabb

Contributing Member
My Alpha one Gen 2 outdrive went south on me yesterday. Towed back and now that I am figuring out what went wrong. I took the cap off and roller bearing and shaft are just loose, as I am able to remove and see that it is sheared off. I see a picture in a diagram of the replacement shaft 45-55796-1 . My question is how is the bottom of the shaft which is still in the drive attached to the lower units shaft or the gear. It started raining on me so that gave me the chance to ask the forum if there is a better diagram, or can someone give me a written lesson on how to remove the broken piece of the shaft and how it works. Just waiting on the rain to stop and some help.

View attachment 15907

Attachments

• GLMMER06-16.jpg
    GLMMER06-16.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 51
The gears & shafts are splined, and have keeper nuts on the end of the shafts.
But you can't just replace a broken shaft.
Getting everything shimmed right gets real involved, and takes a pretty good handfull of special tools.

I'd hunt around for a gently used pull off unit

The gears & shafts are splined, and have keeper nuts on the end of the shafts.
But you can't just replace a broken shaft.
Getting everything shimmed right gets real involved, and takes a pretty good handfull of special tools.

I'd hunt around for a gently used pull off unit

2 Times on that.

The shaft in the lower comes out of the upper when the unit is separated.

Thanks for the replies, I have gotten a bit farther into my issue and have found with the drive off I can see the splines in the coupler are goners, so I have pulled the engine and am in the process of replacing the coupler. Once done I will go on with work on the out drive. I looked in my Mercruiser manual number 14 and have a better idea of how the drive is designed. I see that the universal end of the upper is removed first then I can remove whats left of the upper drive shaft with the driven gear and the bearing that are pressed onto this shaft. I read the shims are needed to get the correct pre-load on the bearing when reassembling.
I own a coupler which is for a one piece oil seal 350 c.i.engine. The engine in the boat is a 350 Horizon EFI which I understand makes close to 300 HP. The coupler I just removed is the larger style which bolt to the outside diameter of the flywheel rather that the flywheel bolts at the center. I was told that this was for the bravo outdrives to handle more torque / higher HP engines. Would I be able to use the one I own rather that buying the $350+ larger style one? Opinions? It looks like it will end up with the same dimension in relation to the universals splined shaft mating up and imputing into the coupler the same amount. This is a fishing boat 23' which is not over taxed or used for hole shots to impress. I usually cruise at about 3000 rpms. Thanks

Would I be able to use the one I own rather that buying the $350+ larger style one?

Ayuh,.... It might fit, 'n work,...... or not,...... donno,..... never tried,....

Lotsa dimensions need to be exact,....

Well I found out that the smaller coupler I have will not work on the Horizon 350 EFI /Alpha one Gen two setup . The flywheel bolt pattern does not match the coupler from the older one piece oil ring type 350 crank shaft. I had to order the one that came off of it....$350 .00 ouch.

Back