Logo

Alpha 1 OutDrive will not go Down enough

harddrive

Hi,

I have a Alpha 1 outdrive and the drive will not go down enough. The drive goes up and down no problem. But won't go down enough. I read about the Trim Limiter puck and tried to move that and that didn't help in going down more.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Harddrive

Bring the drive up all the way with the trailer switch then back down as far as it will go. Do this several times and keep your fingers crossed. It may eventually go all the way down. Sometimes happens if boat has been layed up for a while.

PS make sure you have enough clearance for the drive to go all the way down. Looks pretty close to the ground in the pic.

Hey Guys,

I sent an email to SternDrives.com and Ed replied.

Worked like a charm. I had my wife hit the down button and I stood on the heavy part of the outdrive and the thing went down. I guess it was sitting too long in the up position.

Thanks Ed!!!!!

Hi Min,
The Trim Limit only effects the UP circuit. Not the DOWN circuit.
It sounds like maybe this boat had been sitting for a while with the drive in the up position.
Try this... raise the drive and grease both of the stainless ram rods.
Disable the engine as so it will not start because we do not want the engine to start
in the next step or damage, injury or death can result.
Put on a good pair of sneakers and GENTLY stand on the thick tail portion of the
drive. Do not stand on the thin plate or it will snap off.
While you are standing on the tail end of the drive, have a friend hit the DOWN button.
If you have to, gently and carfully jump up and down to "nudge" the drive to the full down position.
Repeat this procedure a few times regreasing the rods between each cycle.
Make sure your boats batteries do not get low during this procedure or it willl shorten the life of the electric trim motor.

I hope this helps.

Ed

Sterndrives.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the pivots on the gimball housing could be partially seized [mine were],had to remove the limiter and the trim position sender units to remove the bolts using an allen key,and regreased the pivots,and refitted the bolts.wondered why the trim position never moved on the guage,bolt wasnt moving,so not activating the sender unit .

Back