Logo

Alpha 1 Gen 2 Drive shaft housing oil seal compatibility.

Simoniz

Ive got to replace the lower (Driven shaft) oil seal on my Alpha 1 Gen 2 Outdrive, Engine no OL 634881.

Having disassembled the drive shaft housing, and removed the old seals, Ive discovered that my drive has 2 separate seals installed back to back.

The seal kit which I have, part No 26-88397A 1 has a double seal, ie 2 seals in one. Is this compatible, given that the gearbox housing drive shaft will have run on the 2 seals which would have had their lips in different places?

Thanks for any advice.

If I have the year correct, 1998 and up,

The important serial number is not the engine it is the drive.

Most boats have engine/transom/drive serial numbers are within a few hundred digits

Example:
Engine S/N OL634881
Transom S/N OL634962
OutDrive S/N OL634984

What is your outdrive Serial Nimber

Here is a link to the parts structure for the Upper gear case.
Item 5 are the seals and there are two choices.

First listed is Two separate seals based on (Serial number and below) Omxxxxxx and below so yours if OL and is below OM

#5 26-66302 SEAL, Oil (2 required per assembly) SN# 0M400410 & Below

The second is a One piece two seal assembly based on (Serial number and Above) OMxxxxxxx and above would be OM, ON, OI etc....
This does not appear to be your serial number of your drive

#5 26-864319SEAL, Oil (1 required per assembly) SN# 0M400412 & Up

The seal kit number you listed is the gasket kit between drive and gimbal housing NOT a seal kit (26-88397A 1)

If I have the year correct, 1998 and up,

The important serial number is not the engine it is the drive.

Most boats have engine/transom/drive serial numbers are within a few hundred digits

Example:
Engine S/N OL634881
Transom S/N OL634962
OutDrive S/N OL634984

What is your outdrive Serial Nimber

Here is a link to the parts structure for the Upper gear case.
Item 5 are the seals and there are two choices.

First listed is Two separate seals based on (Serial number and below) Omxxxxxx and below so yours if OL and is below OM

#5 26-66302 SEAL, Oil (2 required per assembly) SN# 0M400410 & Below

The second is a One piece two seal assembly based on (Serial number and Above) OMxxxxxxx and above would be OM, ON, OI etc....
This does not appear to be your serial number of your drive

#5 26-864319SEAL, Oil (1 required per assembly) SN# 0M400412 & Up

Hi thanks for reply.

Boat is from year 2000.

I don’t know the drive serial number, or where to find it, but as you say, the serial no of my drive would suggest the 2 separate seals, which is what we’re in it from new.

Question is, is it ok to put the combined double seal in, or does it have to be the 2 individual seals?

No, purchase the correct seals.

I am not sure if the dimentions of the seals match.

There is an obvious reason they offer two types based on serial number range.

Maybe someone else can answer if they are compatible between serial number change...I dont know BUT its best to use what is specified

No, purchase the correct seals.

I am not sure if the dimentions of the seals match.

There is an obvious reason they offer two types based on serial number range.

Maybe someone else can answer if they are compatible between serial number change...I dont know BUT its best to use what is specified
I suspect that the reason they swapped to a double seal was just 'tidying up' the design, and if the outside diameters are the same, so that they will fit in the housing, then they will be interchangeable. But I take your point, and I admit to having reservations about the seal lips being a different difference apart, and therefore running on a different area of the driveshaft.

Id still be interested in other opinions / input, if anyone has something...

Back