Logo

Air Conditioning

I put my 1987 34' Silverton Conv. in the water yesterday. I have twin 270hp inboards. I can't get the a/c to prime after sitting all winter. I ran water through the port with the hose, but it just wouldn't start flowing. Does anyone know how to prime the system if the hose doesn't do it? Thanks.

First thing to check is if the pump runs when the a/c comes on, they are pretty quiet, I have to put my hand on ours to make sure it is on.

If not then check the power to it, there may be a blown fuse or tripped breaker. It may have a seperate breaker from the a/c compressor.

If it does, then pouring water into the intake side of the pump usually fixes it, make sure there are no air leaks on the suction side and that the sea cock is turned on.

Last edited:
Frank,

That system is pretty straight forward in that water simply passes from the thru hull and its' valve, into the pump, into the coils and out the side of the boat.

Prioir to changing out mushroom style intake thru hull to a scoop type, we always lost prime in that pump once the boat came up on plane and bounced a little. Once we re-did that fitting we were good to go each and every time.

Since your boat is already in, you wont be checking any reverse flow by just looking at it but you might try to pull a hose off and see that your water is running thru the system if you force feed it in. Additionally those pumps (depending on which) come apart easily at the impeller for cleaning. We also never had any screen to prevent clogging. . . .AL

Since these pumps to not suck water, they only blow water thru that is available to them at the impeller

If properly installed, the pump - which is not self-priming because it doesn't have much suction - should automatically fill with water once the sea cock and sea strainer (if so equipped) are filled with water and then it pushes that water through the system. Last year my pump was buzzing when the AC was on but no water flow. A few raps with a hammer got it going a few times, but eventually even that failed to work. A new pump was installed and no probelms since then.

As previously stated make sure the sea-cock is open and that the water is getting to the pump and there is no blockage anywhere in the system, an that there is power to the pump.

Erich

Frank,

The easiest way to prime it it to hole a hose from your dockside faucet against the discharge fitting with the system "OFF". This will backflush the system and purge any air out of it. Once this is done the system should pump properly. Obviously, the above posts are correct and you muse insure the seacock is open and the pump is running.

Good luck,
Ricki

Back