Logo

Age of outdrive break in process

tedm2

Contributing Member
I just purchased a new/old SP-

I just purchased a new/old SP-A2 drive and was wondering if it is possible to determine when the drive was actually made. The ID plate reads
Volvo Penta 872203
SP-A2 1.61
No 3102186386

I unserstand the model and gear ratio data on the second line. Do the other numbers contain additional manufacturing information?

Also since the unit has never been used before are there any break-in procedures that need to be followed?

"Ted, this will be pretty much

"Ted, this will be pretty much plug-n-play, for the most part unless you are mixing/matching upper/lower units to another Intermmediate houing!
<font color=""ff0000"">If so, there is crictical shimming that must be done!</font>

It would be wise to check the oil after several hours. It may come equipped with a magnetic drain plug! Check this. If not, catch the first few onces of gear oil when you first check it. Tell tale signs will reveal themselves if anything out of the ordinary is occuring.

I'd be more concerned about the shift mech seal in-that it may have lost resiliency if this drive has never been used. I say this because this particular seal is vunerable to failure from age alone. Likewise the prop shaft seals, but not usually to the same degree!

Great drive.... so there are no issues there that I can think of.

Be sure to use the oil that Volvo recommends... not heavy gear oil since these have a "slinger" pump in the lower gear unit.

BTW, the 1.61:1 over-all ratio is for the V-8 engine only."

Back