Logo

after new impeller still wont pump

shaneg

hello new to the site new boat owner and new to working on them
i need some help
i have a 96 bayliner with the 3.0lx and a alphaone gen2 it has 190 hours on it always been in freshwater the guy i bought it from said it would overheat at high speed everybody i talked to told me to replace impeller to start so i bought a seloc repair manual,and a oem impeller kit off of ebay everything went together fine i i hooked the rabbit ears up and it worked great but somebody
else told me they would give me a false reading because of the water pressure from my house and to put the lower unit in a barrel so i did
i lowered the unit in a plastic barrel filled it up to the top intake holes and nonething it just spits out bubbles in the barrel it will not pump any water
i took the incoming hose from the unit and not so much as a dribble out the hose
i have took the lower unit off twice more making sure the impeller vanes was turned the right way and the water tube went together
my question is does the unit have to be in the water further causing it to suck air somewhere or have i got a bad impeller
seems to me that if i had all the intake holes submerged it should pump water and not just bubble
i know the impeller is in there the way it should if anyone could shed some light i would appreciate it

i did that right after the muff test it was submerged up to the top inlet hole with the hose off the tstat wouldnt pump anything

Two quick thoughts---
a. Was the impeller key installed correctly?
b. Could the inlet hose route be blocked (or partially blocked) with pieces from previous disintegrated impellers?

my question is does the unit have to be in the water further causing it to suck air somewhere

Ayuh,.... It's a flooded entry pump, Yes...

That's why we use muffs....

at least to the red line or you will burn the impeller

10.jpg

well that explains it i guess i will have to buy another impeller and put the boat in the lake to test it
thanks i will keep you updated

Back