Logo

Advice on re-powering please

Keithm18

Regular Contributor
Hi All.

i have someone interested in buying my "vintage" 81 90hp v4. He's willing to pay me a fair price and I'm considering selling and re powering. I would love an e-tec but they're out of my range at the moment.

i believe the 81 90HP was crank rated. My thinking is that a newer 90hp rated at the prop would be quite a bit more powerful. I have the chance to get my hands on a 1990 Johnson 115, can anyone tell me when the power rating moved from the crank to prop?

I want avoid the ficht motors. What years were they produced?

I've also been offered a 90hp Yamaha around 1995. They're 3 cylinder and my current 90 is "just enough" worried that the Yamaha would not be enough. Reported hours on the 115 Johnson and 90 Yamaha are the same.

i'm not worried about the Brand argument, rather looking for objective view on 90 3cylinder being "enough" vs current motor and if 1990 115 is a lot more than 81 90hp?

Your kind advice is greatly appreciated.

regards,

Keith

The 90 115 hp is propshaft rated.-------Basically the same motor as what you have now as far as trouble shooting goes.------No need to learn on a different style motor.

Back