Logo

Adding kill switch/button to vintage outboard

BLPen163

All the ones I see have two wires....One to ground and one goes to the coil or points? But I have two sets of coils and points. Don't I need to ground both? Otherwise one cylinder would stay running wouldn't it?

Thank you

All the ones I see have two wires....One to ground and one goes to the coil or points? But I have two sets of coils and points. Don't I need to ground both? Otherwise one cylinder would stay running wouldn't it?

Thank you
What motor do you have????

One switch wire connects to one set of points, other switch wire connects to other set of points. No connection to ground. Pushing the button shorts the two points sets together, killing the spark on both cylinders.

That's right. Why? Because when one set of points is closed....then it's already grounded....so together they will ground out....assuming you are working on what we "think" you are.

One switch wire connects to one set of points, other switch wire connects to other set of points. No connection to ground. Pushing the button shorts the two points sets together, killing the spark on both cylinders.

Makes sense now...Thank you. So just attach wires with a ring connector under the same screw the points and condensor are on and call it good.

Back