Logo

Accel Distributor Questions

gardnersf

Hello everyone.

I have Crusader 454's 1986 version. The PO had Accel Distributors installed model number 6800E.

I am unable to find the cap and rotor set for these now. The model is discontinued (set is model 6900)

I took pictures of the current cap and rotor on one of the engines. It looks like they are original. I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know if there are any replacements parts cross referenced? I have logged a request with Accel
2. By the pictures, do they look like they need replaced?
3. Is it ok to celan up the contacts on the rotor and cap until I can find replacements?

I'm hoping to avoid buying new distributors.

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

That's very possible as Prestolite owns Accel or is part of the same company. I did find that the Non-marine Accel number is 8320. I am going to assume, however, that this is one of those parts that must be marine certified.

I will take a look at those Sierra numbers

different prestolite than the distributor OEM...Accel is owned by the same corporate group owning mr gasket and mallory.

If what looks like a gasket (at the cap - distributor body interface) isn't secured, make sure yu get that replaced, too. Looks like the film was never removed to expose the adhesive -> it was sealing so the 'safety' benefits were compromised.

From the shape and hold-down screw style, I'd also say that they look like a Prestolite. Might be worth comparing!

These distributors are using the VR..... reluctor triggering.
This is good, IMO.
However, I'd be removing the reluctors and very carefully cleaning the rust scale from them. Brass brush only!
Find out why so much moisture is getting inside of them..... maybe spray a non-conductive protectant and/or corrosion blocker inside!

As for cleaning a cap..... small fishers inside of the cap can hold carbon and can cause arcing where we don't want it.
You may have some success at cleaning them, and then spray them with a water displacement spray... such as WD40.

The gasket was certainly a bit mangled when I opened it up. I havent checked the other engne yet. Not sure how long ago these were put in but I've heard very good things about the Delco EST conversion kits. I may just bite the bullet and replace these, then I will knwo what I am dealing with in terms of age and condition.

ANyone knwo if these distributors use weigts for advance or fully electronic? The link to the instructions is here: http://www.accel-ignition.com/pdf/61_61V_51E_51S_68E.pdf.

the instruction sheet says mechanical....i take to mean springs and weights.

the EST's are fully electronic.

gardnersf, as mentioned, you have the VR (variable reluctor) style triggering system w/ mechanical advancing mechanisms in these distributors. This is good, IMO.
With these, YOU have full control over what your curve/limit are via initial set up.

If you suspect that they may be getting warn, you have the option of having a shop (one that owns an old school distributor machine) go through these, re-bush, re-set curve and limit, etc. and breathe new life into them for a fraction of what new would cost.

If these engines have been running well on the current cruve/limit, have this duplicated when the work is being done.
Re-install.... set BASE.... check TA.... go have fun!

As for the EST system, and as per Mark's comment, I believe he is correct.
These are not only electronic triggering, but are also electronic davance control! This means a module is necessary, and possibly a sensor or two!

If Ignition systems are not your strong suit (as you say), you may want to do the above re-furbishing and stay with your existing systems!

BTW, any Mallory that is a "YLM" xxxxx is magnet triggering, I.E., Reluctor Style, similar to what you now have (in the event that Mallory is an option for you).

Last edited:
Thanks Rick, I appreciate the info. The engines are running well at speed. Acceleration is good, etc. They idle rough when first started and warming up. I am going to try to clean them up first, and see hwo it goes. I really was only looking to replace the cap and rotor as they may have never been replaced. I've had the boat for 2.5 years and figured it was time.

Both my 454 CIDs ran rough at start up for 20 years. I just thought it was normal for a 454. Someone in this discussion group suggested tying up the choke on the Rochester Quadrajet. I did that last year and the engines run great at start up. When I decide I really need a choke, I will see what the problem is with the choke and correct it. In the meantime I will enjoy smooth throaty sounding engines, not check for sheen on the water at the exhaust and not experience gasoline in my crankcase oil.

Chuck Hanson

Agreed--to a point. Rough idling at cold start up usually is the choke set too rich. (If it's too lean the motor stalls.) I deliberately run my engines with the choke set too lean and "baby" the throttles 'til they warm up. That prevents plug fouling and gas in the oil.

I do NOT recommend tying the chokes open! Not unless one likes buying starters and maybe a new ring gear.

Jeff

Jeff, your comment is of interest to me. Can you give an explanation how the choke tied open causes starter and ring gear problems.

Chuck Hanson

In one word: "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr". "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr".

That was two words. Sorry.

Jeff

I have the exact same distributor on my 1989 3485 Avanti. Anybody know where I can get a new or used sensor and trigger unit as is shown mounted on the distributor. Mine is toast. I am very disappointed that Accel has discontinued all replacement parts.

I have the exact same distributor on my 1989 3485 Avanti. Anybody know where I can get a new or used sensor and trigger unit as is shown mounted on the distributor. Mine is toast. I am very disappointed that Accel has discontinued all replacement parts.

I hope you are right, I will look into this today and let you know how this turns out and if it will fit.

Bill, just a suggestion here.... this thread is from 2010. Perhaps start a new thread for your specific issue.

I did receive your message, and then found this thread.

Your distributors are neaing 24 years old. This means that your advancing systems are also nearing 24 years old.
If they've not seen any excessive moisture, they may be just fine.

That said, I'd recommend that you pull these, and take them to an Auto-Electric company who owns/operates an old school Sun, Allen or King distributor machine, and let them inspect and/or repair them.

Now... here's the catch.
On this forum, no one has been successful at finding the OEM Chrysler Marine ignition advance curves that show the progressive and full advance and related RPM.
The guys have found what Chrysler references in their OEM manual, but the data is not very useful.

Nonetheless, if these are run on a machine, the existing curves can be looked at, and somewhat checked.
Both engines should be seeing a very similar curve and TA.
This should be an easy adjustment for them to make, should it be necessary.

If you don't do this, at least strobe each engine up to the full-in RPM, and see if the curves are close to being the same.

Thanks for yor reply, the distributor (6804-E) in question is on my Mint 3485 Avanti cruiser on a ccw 454 Marine Power engine. I have found the pick up coil for the distributor. I also found the ignition module in the newest online Accel catalog, but they just emailed me that they no longer make this component and suggested that I look for it on the Internet. They told me that they consider my part cost and availability request SOLVED. That is BS! I have asked them for a list of there dealers to I can try and track the component down. I fully understand your point about the advance curves, but this boat is rarely run at speeds much above 2000 rpms so it is not as critical. Most of the time the power plants are operating at 1500 to 1800 range. What with the cost of fuel it is a comfortable slow cruiser. If I could track down an old distributor with good ignition components I would also be fine.

Once again Thanks

I started this thread a few years ago. I ended up buying new HEi kits but only put one in. The other Accel Distributor is still running strong. I did clean the contact points a couple of years ago .I got the same answer when I was looking. Very frustrating

1. I fully understand your point about the advance curves, but this boat is rarely run at speeds much above 2000 rpms so it is not as critical. Most of the time the power plants are operating at 1500 to 1800 range. What with the cost of fuel it is a comfortable slow cruiser.

2. If I could track down an old distributor with good ignition components I would also be fine.
  1. IMO, 2k + RPM can or may still be within a range where ignition induced detonation can occur.

2. Would your budget allow for new distributors?

Back