Logo

99 Johnson 40hp wiring harness system check removal?

Duckhunter97

I recently bought a 99 Johnson 40hp tiller, which comes with the wiring harness and ignition harness and trim harness etc. All of that wiring is pretty excessive for my duck boat.. is there a way I can basically delete the system check wiring, so all I’m left with is trim and ignition? I just want a stand alone tiller for the boat without alarms and an extra gauge I have to find a place to mount and whatnot. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I know it's possible bc my used pontoon came with no gauges and the harness was chopped. Only connections were to the battery and the ignition & trim switch.

I wanted a tach and System Check lights & warning so I had to buy a proper tach and replace the harness with a correct one off eBay.

I know it's possible bc my used pontoon came with no gauges and the harness was chopped. Only connections were to the battery and the ignition & trim switch.

I wanted a tach and System Check lights & warning so I had to buy a proper tach and replace the harness with a correct one off eBay.
When you replaced the system check did you notice it if the prior owner changed any wiring? The guy I bought it from told me the motor won’t run without the system check alarm display plugged into the harness and high leads me to believe that the ignition is wired in past the alarm display which stops it from getting power or something

My system check & tach wires were literally chopped off inside the console during a recarpet. The motor operated fine without the indicator, alert, or gauge.

I found the correct-length harness (I have a shorty 18' toon) and it was a plug/play replacement for my butchered harness and plugged right in to the new system check tach without modification.

My system check & tach wires were literally chopped off inside the console during a recarpet. The motor operated fine without the indicator, alert, or gauge.

I found the correct-length harness (I have a shorty 18' toon) and it was a plug/play replacement for my butchered harness and plugged right in to the new system check tach without modification.
My trim sender works but so far I haven't installed a gauge.

Back