Logo

99' 115 Merc won't shift after new bearing carrier

drice379

I have a 99' 115 merc that lost a vent screw and froze last winter pushing the bearing carrier (16) out. I replaced the carrier and now can't get it to shift right. I installed the prop shaft with the shift cam and throttle in the forward detent position. It will only shift into neutral when I put it into reverse. With the shifter in reverse I removed the prop shaft and the shift cam was in the reverse position. It's almost like the cam follower (7) is too short. Below is a schematic and a picture of the cam follower sitting in the shaft. I don't seem to be missing any parts but it looks like the follower might be short. Does anyone have experience with these models? It's much appreciated! Thank you.
prop shaft.jpgCapture.PNG

Faztbullet commented recently on a kit Merc. has out for a new cam follower and associated parts. He said that the tip gets worn off and that's the reason for the kit. No mention of whether the kit has changed anything to postpone the problem over what you get from the original OEM kit.

Your picture isn't real clear in that I can see the clutch dog ok, but not the slots in the rear of R gear to determine their condition. Other thing is when you reinstalled everything, did you include the 3 ball bearings with the spring?

Surely you not going to run that rusty mess.. That unit need all the bearing replaced an shaft/gears inspected before attempting any repairs

The rear gear is in good shape. I never took the clutch off, so I never removed the spring or the slider that connects to the clutch. The only thing that came out was the cam follower. The bearings are in good shape too. Most of them are new with the carrier. It just has some surface rust from sitting around the last month.

Edit: I just realized what was going on. I thought the three ball bearings went around the slider that the cam was attached to. I'm missing those bearings. Now the question is, where did they go? I wonder if they fell out on the ground or if they are up in the front of the lower unit. At least I can fix it now. Thank you for the quick replies!

Last edited:
Maybe they are still in the prop shaft.....course if they were in there, the shifter ought to work. Faztbullet just answered a similar question and posted the kit part number. Either look here or on "letter I and boats" one word, in the Merc repair section. Forget just where I saw it. Post title will have similar resemblance to your LU and shifting problems.

Back