Logo

989 70 HP Johnson VRO Maint on oil pump

jerry

I've heard pros and cons

I've heard pros and cons about automatic oilers so far I've no problems and don't want any. Is there any maint. I need to do to insure proper function? I know there are a lot of opinions and would like to hear them. Thanks Jerry

"Jerry.... The important thing

"Jerry.... The important thing to keep in mind is that your warning system must be operational. Your engine has an electronic (not straight electric) horn that should sound off monentarily when you turn the ignition key to the on position. If it doesn't, find out why as that the only warning system you have. For those that may not know the warning signals, they are as follows.

Steady constant beep = Overheating (On the V/6 and V/8 engines = same signal for a fuel restriction).

Beep every 20 seconds = Oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank.

Beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction.

If you decide to do away with the VRO automatic oil system for any reason, the following may be of interest to you.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Joe
"

Back