Logo

!980’s Evinrude Yachtwin 7.5 Lower unit interchange?

57pack

Hello all, I recently inherited a 1980’s Evinrude Yachtwin 7.5 HP outboard motor from my brother in law. I don’t have a sailboat but do have a 14’ Arkansa Traverler small boat. Was wondering if I could change the lower unit to a shorter unit? Thanks all

Remove the 5" spacer.----Find a short driveshaft,-------Find a short shift rod.-----Parts up to the 1889 7.5 / 6 / 8 HP are the same I think.

Great thank you!
You will also need to shorten the water tube.

And if it is a 1982 or 1983 (E8RSLCN or E8RSLCT ) model you will have to remove the plug from the exhaust outlet

Items 42 to 46 in this parts diagram

1698412646008.png

I did not see a model # or picture of this motor.----Agreed there may be a 10" spacer.---Have an 8 HP and a few 9.9 models with 10" spacer.

I did not see a model # or picture of this motor.----Agreed there may be a 10" spacer.---Have an 8 HP and a few 9.9 models with 10" spacer.
I think the 7.5 Hp Yachtwin would have had a 5" spacer like the subsequent 6HP Yachtwin models.

The reason I posted the warning was that the OP will have problems if his motor has the "normal" exhaust outlet plugged and he does not remove the plug.
He'll probably not comeback and see my post though. :(

Thanks folks for the advice! Much appreciated! The motor in question is a 1980 model Yachtwin. I’ll post a good photo soon. Thank you !

Back