Logo

'98 Mercury Force 90HP Starting Problems

zheka

Hello. I recently bought a Bayliner boat, with 98 Mercury Force 90HP motor. I tested the boat on the water with the seller, everything was great. Compression was around 130 I believe, on all 3 cylinders. Got it home. Next day went on the water, and it wouldn't start. Fuel film started to appear on the water when trying to start. Next day, it started, drove for about 20 miles, then at the dock, I put it to idle, and it stalled right away (prior to that, it was always at throttle). Once it stalled, I wasn't able to start it. Tried starting it home, I noticed there's fuel leaking from the carburetors. It's hard to say if it's coming form the top and is going through the other 2, or all 3 are leaking.

Where/what should I start with? What I should I check? What could be the problem? And what will it take to get that fixed?

I am not a mechanic by profession, but I'm very hands on.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

Make sure when you transport the boat that the fuel line is disconnected especially whenever the motor is tilted up. Put it in gear too because you don't want prop to spin....it can damage prop shaft seal. Might need carbs cleaned and check all fuel filters and screens. Inboard tank? They can get dirt or water in them....hard to get out. Just did a under floor tank. Big job....25 gallon. The live well tank drain hose which runs under the entire length of the tank had 2 holes in it. Boat had a constant leak and nobody could find it. So if you have fuel contamination, you may have to remove and clean the tank. I often add an additional in line filter too.

Did you have a reputable mechanic , look at boat before purchasing. If not you learned a hard lesson. Not saying you made a bad decision, just saying their are sellers , trying to get rid of a problem.
If carbs are leaking when you prime , primer bulb ,carbs. need rebuilt.

Last edited:
Back