Logo

98 Fast Strike 115 problem

Bjsmith919

Regular Contributor
I was going to change the lower unit oil tonight and when I removed the bottom screw the little metal pin broke off of it. It's magnetic, I guess to catch any shavings from the gears. Would it be a problem to replace the screw without the pin on it or would that cause problems down the road? The top screw still has the pin on it and I didn't see any shavings on either one so im guessing that means my gears are good?

Yes, you're good to go. For God knows how many years, only one of those screws had a magnet attached (the bottom one), and now they use two which probably increased the price of the engine by $649.13 :) .

Info for future use... in time, the magnet may collect a fuzzy ball of metal, usually black which one can actually rub hard between ones fingers without causing injury. This is considered normal... don't be concerned if you encounter this scenario.

Thanks for bailing me out once again. I just knew I was screwed and was gonna have to order one and not be able to enjoy my new toy this weekend

Back