Logo

98 Evinrude 115 cutting out at low RPM.... Stator or Sensor Coil problem? Pics Included

Jaysuuun

Hello everyone I’m hoping someone can help me out here. Lately my OB has been cutting out at low RPM. It usually happens after the engine has been warmed up and running for awhile. Then it’ll have a little trouble starting and I really gotta give it some throttle to stay on. As soon as I get it in gear it will cut out. Carbs have been rebuilt, Gas is fresh, ignition coils have recently been replaced and battery is brand new. I went through the diagnostics in my service manual and narrowed it down to possibly the Stator being the problem.

4a74e017-f4be-4170-ab46-b36833b0da61

I ran the ground test and kept getting a voltage reading between 3-10v when cranking the engine. According to the manual I'm not supposed to get any reading, so I decided to remove the stator for further inspection and noticed this on the sensor coil.

21b94cec-4dbf-4a5d-9f0e-609c0df01049

Could this be grounding my Stator? I was prepared to replace the stator but then I uncovered this I'm thinking the sensor coil might be the culprit? Should this be replaced or can it be patched/repaired with some epoxy. Thanks in advance.

Jason

Attachments

• sensorcoil.jpg
    sensorcoil.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 16
Back up a bit.----Post your compression test numbers.-----And does spark jump a gap of 7/16" or more.------That damage on the timer base may be insignificant.-----Post the ohm readings off the stator ignition charge coils ( brown wires ) and the yellow wires.----Also ohm readings on sensor coils.

Compression is 120 in each cylinder and spark jumping 7/16 tested with a spark gap tester. Spark plugs are new. I also got some terminal extenders and did a running output test at each coil. Voltage was low, 180-200V. Service manual says it should be greater than or equal to 230V. This is what lead me to testing the Stator.

On the stator brown wires what reading ( in ohms ) do you get on brown to brown?-----What reading do you get just one of the brown to ground ?---Also test the sensor coils.----What ohm readings do you get on them ?------I say that if spark is jumping a gap of 7/16" on each lead, then there is not much wrong with ignition components !-----Run with a timing light one cylinder at a time out on the lake.----Run till engine falters.-----Observe spark behavior on each lead.

Back