Logo

97 Mariner 25hp one cylinder rich, coil or reeds?

KevinRHutchens

Have a 97 Mariner 25hp, both cylinders test 110psi. Carb has been rebuilt and works flawlessly. Have an issue with losing one cylinder after about 4 hours of idle trolling to a rich condition. I'm thinking coil fizzling out but heard it could be reeds but don't see how it could run well for hours and then foul out one cylinder is it were reeds?

Process of elimination, switch the coils and see if the problem follows the coil. Costs nothing to try. After that plug fouls while trolling, does the engine regain that cylinder after you get the engine back to planing speed heading back to the ramp or do you have to clean it before taking off?

Process of elimination, switch the coils and see if the problem follows the coil. Costs nothing to try. After that plug fouls while trolling, does the engine regain that cylinder after you get the engine back to planing speed heading back to the ramp or do you have to clean it before taking off?
I think so but as soon as you throttle down it is back not idling again.

Did you make sure all the right gaskets were used in the rebuild?
Yes, that is a super easy carb and fuel pump. Yes with the kit you get 2 different fuel pump gasket kits and yes I did put the wrong one on at first like a dummy but it's all right and no cracks in the plastic partition. As far as I can tell the carb is working as it should. I have thought about switching the coils like you suggested too to see if the cylinder fouling switched as well, but they are so cheap I think I may just change them anyway. I can also get a set of reeds for cheap as well. I may just go ahead and change them as well, heck I can do all that for less than the carb kit was. I had to buy the expensive one because the cheap ones didn't come with a float needle which was the main issue to start. Now I know I could have ordered it separately if you look up a slightly different model but has the right needle in it. If I change the coils, reeds and while I have the carb off I may just for the sake of argument order the cheap gasket set and change the fuel pump gaskets again. Heck why not.

Back