Logo

97 Evinrude 115 Fuel Pump Issues??

edurnive49

Hey guys, I have a 97 Evinrude 115 that has been very hard to start but once started, would have a lean cough like it wasn't getting enough fuel. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the cover seal on the vapor separator was leaking and that fuel was leaking out the fuel enrichner valve on the solenoid cover.

So, I changed the seal on the vapor separator and replaced the cover/fuel enrichner valve and housing gasket on the solenoid. When I tried to start it, it was still a pain to start but once I got it started it ran beautifully. Went down the next day and it started right up first time I tried! Took it out for a test run and it ran better than it has for the entire 7 years that I have owned it! Very responsive throttle and more power than ever. It ran good for about 2 hours and then it was right back to the same thing again, lean cough and wouldn't idle in neutral and would eventually die. Acting like its not getting enough fuel. But hey, I'm no marine mechanic so I really don't know what is going on with it.

I had another fuel assembly and bracket but the fuel pump was bad so I did change out everything but the fuel pump; solenoid, main diaphragm, vapor separator and fuel filter and still the same thing. So, I am wondering if it could be the fuel pump??

Anybody have any ideas as to what is happening and what I can do to fix the problem or if the fuel pump may indeed be the culprit??

Thanks in advance for your help....

Back