Logo

95 maxum 2000 sr gas gauge concerns

just bought the boat and had on the water once for three hours. I got 10 gallons prior to the trip and the gauge never moved.It reads almost full with the ignition on. It did not move when filling. After three hours of light cruising (getting to know the boat), the gauge never moved. The gauge goes beyond empty when power goes off and just under full when powered up by the key ignition. It was said to have worked but fear makes me question it. Any tips on confirming the gauge , wiring and sending unit is working ?

just bought the boat and had on the water once for three hours. I got 10 gallons prior to the trip and the gauge never moved.It reads almost full with the ignition on. It did not move when filling. After three hours of light cruising (getting to know the boat), the gauge never moved. The gauge goes beyond empty when power goes off and just under full when powered up by the key ignition. It was said to have worked but fear makes me question it. Any tips on confirming the gauge , wiring and sending unit is working ?
1995 maxum 2000 sr: 5.0L 2barrel alpha one gen 2

Let’s say the gauge read like a 1” tape measure. Empty or zero with the key off. 7/8 when the key is on so not quite full but idk it’s always been that way ( all 7 days I’ve owned the boat). Removed the green wire no change. Full yes but didn’t move from 7/8. Reconnected green and disconnected pink, empty. Quite possible everything is fine or could be a sending unit. Does that sound accurate ?

the normal quick and dirty test is power on the gauge, remove pink wire from sending unit and ground it - gauge should go to MAX peg (ABOVE F)...and then disconnected, it should be on the MIN PEG (below E)...if you have a 110 ohm resistor, put it between the pink wire and ground and the gauge should read "1/2"...

Based on you abbreviated testing, I'd be inclined to change the sender unit...

Finally, boat fuel gauges and senders are not known for high accuracy...so be reasonable in setting your bar...I'm of the opinion that knowing what's going on with the last 1/4 of the volume is more valuable than known what is going on with the other end...

the normal quick and dirty test is power on the gauge, remove pink wire from sending unit and ground it - gauge should go to MAX peg (ABOVE F)...and then disconnected, it should be on the MIN PEG (below E)...if you have a 110 ohm resistor, put it between the pink wire and ground and the gauge should read "1/2"...

Based on you abbreviated testing, I'd be inclined to change the sender unit...

Finally, boat fuel gauges and senders are not known for high accuracy...so be reasonable in setting your bar...I'm of the opinion that knowing what's going on with the last 1/4 of the volume is more valuable than known what is going on with the other end...
Thank you! Pink to green wire test this moring spiked the gauge to full and vice versa. Is it possible the float is stuck and I could pull the sender for an adjustment (smack it lol) temporarily until I get another? Idk if the sender has a gasket that will be ruined if I removed to check it out..,.. wanted to go out for Father’s Day today. Guess I’ll be taking some fuel with me.

Lots of possibilities for why the sender is doing what it is doing...best just to fill the tank if you wanna make a trip...

Should be a gasket - normal practice is to replace a gasket whenever the item on top of it is removed/replaced...the only "adjustment" I've seen that 'works' is when the float arm was bent installing the unit...I'd suggest checking it after your holiday trip...

Back