Logo

94Johnson 120 j120tlarc. Problems!

Scott Mccommons

Hello, I purchased a 94 stratos, with a 94 , 120 Johnson. J120tlarc. It tries to start , and will with giving very little throttle sometimes. But it will not stay running, or idol. Sometimes pops back though the carbs like it's running out of gas. The timing should be correct , previous owner said it had never been changed.?!?! I can tell you that, the Compression is good. New plugs " factory " recommend champions . New gas lines and bulb.all clamped , not zip tied .Carbs are clean . Good spark coils are good. New gas . It will start and run about 5 seconds at the most. It seems to flood easliy at times. Others it acts like it not getting gas . The adjustment screws in the carbs are at 3 1/2 turns out at the moment. Have tried them from 1 turn out all the way to 6 turns out. Could this be a fuel pump issue or ????? Thanks for any help you can give me, and for taking the time to read my problem !

start with basic troubleshooting, after turning screws are u waiting for engine to stabilize,check fuel pressure with gauge that can be rented from most auto parts stores. Was old fuel dumped before new fuel was added? Tank cleaned?? Carbs removed inspected& rebuilt lately?? More than likely fuel system is all gummed up!!

Back