Logo

94 Ocean Runner 225 Shift Interrupt Switch Not Engaging

beatnavy

I've found references to other people having this problem, but no solution. Engine is '94 Ocean Runner 225.

My shift interrupt switch is not engaging. If I push the spring loaded part of the switch down with engine running, I can hear the engine stumble (presumably the starboard bank of cylinders cutting out). But it won't engage during normal shifting. Is there supposed to be a cam or something else that pushes the button down during shifting?

Here is what mine looks like (but not my pic).

ShiftInterruptSwitch.jpg

If you take switch off you will likely find the spot weld broken on the arm bracket. It works by going into a bind when you return to neutral not when shifting into a gear.

Thank you fazbullet. So would replacing this part, Evinrude/Johnson part # 331737, be the most likely resolution? Here's a pic of that arm (again, not mine):

b69-2388-331737-433481-johnson-evinrude-shift-arm-shift-link-lever.jpg

Our host has these available but without a picture, and I don't necessarily see a spot weld on this arm.

The specific symptom I'm chasing is the boat wanting to stall coming into dock when putting into reverse to slow it down. I can usually get it restarted quickly and/or grab a piling to slow momentum on a windy day, but it's not great. I had thought that maybe the shift interrupt assist switch was on all the time or sticking in neutral leading to this problem, but apparently it's not engaging at all. Again, kind of counter-intuitive that it could cause motor to stall, but I think I read an old post, perhaps by you, that this is exactly what happens.

I tried adjusting shifter cable yesterday but it was a bit unsatisfying. Right now it seems the motor won't go into neutral directly from reverse. I have to go to forward first, and then it will successfully go into neutral. I plan on replacing the shifter cable as well.

Thanks for any and all help.

rob c

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Looking at it today it's not obvious to me that the spot weld is broken. I'd like to go ahead and remove that whole assembly for inspection and understanding how it is supposed to work.

Is the ONLY function of that assembly the shift assist? That is, if I remove it, am I disabling any other aspects of shifting or motor operation? It looks like I need to remove the lower engine covers to really get to this thing.

Thanks for the help!

Back