Logo

94 mercury 115 only runs with key pushed in

I have a 115, 94 model that will only run when the key stays pushed in to run on choke? I have cleaned the carbs, but no help. Does it sound like it could be fuel pump? The engine had sit up about 1.5 yrs. with not starting. I know this new fuel is supposed to be bad. any other ideas or anyone else experienced this?

very possible...you can try squeezing the primer ball to keep fuel flowing...another possibility is the internal jets have gummed up.

Sure sounds like a restriction in the carburetors.------Were they taken apart for a proper cleaning ?

Yes, I took the carbs apart, cleaned with carb cleaner and blew out with air. After it started, the primer bulb seemed to not get firm. I have it hooked up to auxiliary tank. Does the tank need to be vented or sealed tight?

The bulb must go hard when you fill the carburetors.------Contrary to popular belief , the primer bulb does not need to be or stay hard once the motor has started !!-------Check for a ruptured diaphragm in the fuel pump.-Check for leaking float valves in the carburetors.-Ckeck for problems / leaks in the bulb / hose / fittings right down to the pick-up tube in the tank.

Last edited:
Back