Logo

93 Mercury 75hp Misfire

keywestskiff

Hello everyone! I'm new and this is my first post. :)

So, I have a 1993 (according to the serial number) 75hp Mercury 2 stroke that has (what I feel to be) a misfire issue. I've done almost everything I can think of to this motor and it still has the problem! It's driving me insane, please help!!

I've replaced all electronics except for the components that deal with the charging side of things. These are the parts I've replaced with new (not used) components. [stator, trigger, 3 coils, spark plugs, spark plug wires & switch box] The compression is 130psi across all 3 cylinders. I've removed all 3 carburetors, cleaned them out, checked all the jets and needles. I've replaced all the fuel lines on the motor including the main line in from the tank with a new primer ball that is working flawlessly. It has a slight miss that's almost not even noticeable at an idle, but when you give it full throttle to get up on plane, it doesn't seem to be wanting to go more than like 3000 RPM. I've tested everything with a DVA meter, tried choking it while giving it throttle, primed the ball while running it. All these things were done on the water under a load. It seems to run good on the hose, as most outboards with this type of an issue do.

Oh, and just to mention, I have the updated electrical system with the RED stator & capacitor along with the sealed switch box. Mine does not have the typical screws on the side of it where the wires attach to it. I tried replacing the capacitor also, but the one I got was bad out of the box and made the motor have no spark at all. The old one seemed to test out good, so I don't know!! I'm completely lost and I do NOT want to keep dumping money into this motor, I figured someone on here may have had similar issues and may be able to help me! I appreciate any help!!

Sorry----Sounds like you now have a lot of good spare parts.----Is the miss at idle on a hose ? ---Or with boat in the water ?----Checked the flywheel key ?---What torque value did you use on the flywheel nut ?----Checked cylinder sleeve position ?----What boat and what pitch is the prop.----All question for you to deal with.

I do have a lot of good spare parts!! :)

I checked all those things and all checked out good. It does have a slight miss on the hose and gets worse in the water. The boat is a 17' Key West Sportsman, I haven't checked the pitch on the prop, but it does get on plane even running poorly, it just doesn't have any "guts" when you put it at WOT?

Is it possible that the adapter could be causing the problem? I don't even know what exactly it does? Makes no sense why they added that to begin with, I mean it wasn't necessary? Could this thing be causing a misfire issue?? :confused:

Some will argue.----I would pull the exhaust covers to look at pistons / rings.----Cost you a couple of gaskets and certainly cheaper than all the electronic parts.

Well, I suppose that will be my next weekend project.

I never thought this would turn into such a pain, I've had problems in the past with other Mercs, but usually it was something simple. This one is turning into a nightmare lol

Back