Logo

93 9.9 2stroke HP Evinrude Yachtwin Longshaft Won't stay running

SavageMind

I have been trying to get this 93 Evinrude 9.9hp to cooperate. I have changed the fuel pump, the CDI, rebuilt the carb, changed the plugs and wires. The motor will start for a few seconds and die, I can chock it and it does the same. For giggle I checked the plugs to see them a fouled with with fuel/oil. I am using 50:1 ratio with some seafoam added. Anyone got any ideas?

Make an air gap tester, the cost is probably $0, you have everything you need already. Here is what I did. Racerone does it even cheaper, he simply glued some wires to a piece of cardboard.
I can bend the wires to any gap desired...every 2 stroke I’ve tried, (weed eaters, chainsaw, kicker) will drive a crackling blue lightning bolt across almost 1/2” gap. If it won’t, you need to look at ignition.
I used a couple pieces of 14/2 household wire. Wrap it around the screws, & turn them down so the wires won’t move closer. I stained the wood dark, easier to see the spark in bright sun.
The 1/4” bolt makes it easy to turn into the spark plug bolt & make a good connection. Just put the other end in the empty spark plug hole in the head. The weight of the tool & angle will hold it securely against the head.

Attachments

• AD8679C5-8135-4048-820D-1F6F4F0F40D5.jpeg
    AD8679C5-8135-4048-820D-1F6F4F0F40D5.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 22
Back