Logo

91 mariner 150 hp with very high idle

larrydm

Hi

I put my boat on the water a week ago and everything ran great. When entering the marina at the end of the day, I throttled back to idle but the idle was about 1500 rpm and wouldn't come down any further. The next day the idle continued to increase which made it hard to shift into neutral. Once in gear, the motor would run great all the way to WOT.
I have checked my throttle and shift cables for kinks and found none. I disconnected the throttle cable and confirmed that the idle adjustment screw was tight and that it was against the stop then started the motor and it immediately revved to around 2000 rpm. I was advised to check the hoses on the economizer and thermal valve. Both are connected and in good condition with no holes. I check all hoses and didn't find any holes breaks etc.. With a cold engine, The butterflies on the carbs are closed and stay closed when I move the throttle through the entire range on the control. I was also advised to check the trigger linkage. It is connected and moves freely. Would the economizer or thermal valve cause my problem? Is there any easy way to test them if they are good? Could the idle stabilizer cause the problem? Is there a way to test it? I would really appreciate some more direction on what else to be looking at for a possible cause.

Thanks

Back