Logo

9.9 Evinrude is slow

mstapper

All,
I have a great running 1992 9.9hp evinrude that starts well and runs pretty good. For some reason it is very slow. I just had a new throttle cam put on by a professional I am wondering if that could be the problem. However when the throttle works fine and goes all the way to the fast potion.

Any suggestion?

Check and see if it is in fact running on both cylinders.-------Spark and compression checked ?----------Could be a broken reed valve too.-------------------More history on the problem always helps , like did it slow down while running ? -----New to you motor ?----------Gradually got worse ?-----Give ALL the information you can.

New motor to me. Ran fine when I first took it out. Recently took to shop for new throttle cam and recoil spring for pull cord. Put a test wheel on it yesterday at the shop and it is only turning 3,400 rpm. Book the mechanic had said it should turn 5,400 rpm. Plugs are new, compression is 80 in both cylinders.

The mechanic had the engine in a tank, noticed it did not turn correct rpm with a test wheel and did not confirm if running on both????

Find a new shop/mechanic!!

The mechanic had the engine in a tank, noticed it did not turn correct rpm with a test wheel and did not confirm if running on both????

Find a new shop/mechanic!!

Yes indeed! Either incorrect test wheel 15hp one? or not sinc correctly.

Or both.

Sounds a bit suss especially if it had revs earlier on your boat.

First thing for shop to check is sinc

Then they check for spark

Then they check comps

Then they use their own shop fuel.

All that did they do?

15 minutes max to check the basics then in the tub.

B

Last edited:
Back