Logo

9.8 hp 4 Stroke Tohatsu has transient loss of power when full speed

ChuckTown

Hi,
Background: 2010 4 stroke 9.8 hp Tohatsu. I bought it in December. A few weeks ago, I ran my boat with the gas tank vent screwed closed, resulting in the boat stalling out on me. After realizing what had happened, I opened the vent, took it out, and it ran great. However the next couple trips, after running at full speed for a little, It would loose power (felt very similar to when vent was closed). Sometimes it would completely stall and die, while other times it would run at trolling speed while I was at full throttle. I would go at trollling speed anywhere for 30secs to a minute then it would regain power. The first time it was doing that I tried squeezing the primer ball but it did not cause it to gain any power or resume normal speed any faster than when I did nothing. Other details are that I use non-ethanol gas and flush it with water after every use. I bought a replacement inline filter and will install it today. This is my first motor and am good with tools but have no mechanical experience.

From google searches, it seems like a carb gunk problem, water in gas, or some other fuel delivery problem.

I cover my boat and don't think water got in the gas in an obvious way, but I did leave the vent open on the gas tank 24/7 and have heard of moisture in the air getting pulled in. Or could there be some kind of high pressure in the system from when I forgot to unscrew the vent? Any help would be awesome!

Chuck

Of course, check all the basics... verify oil level (not over full)... plugs clean... and then consider any possible air leaks in the fuel hose, tank, and pickup, that might allow air into the fuel system. Does the primer bulb get firm, or stay mushy?

Paul, Thank you so much for taking the time. Today, right meow, I'm going to go change the oil. When I bought it, I checked the oil, it looked to be in good condition but was definitely over filled-I just didn't know that was not good. It has been overfilled while the boat ran well and not.

I'm also going to be putting in the new in line filter today.

How do I check for air leaks in the system? I've looked at it and dont see any obvious things, but like I said- I'm new to this.

I'll report back later today on the firmness of the bulb.

Thanks again,
Chase

OK-
Changed oil, filled it 1/2 full on dipstick. Pulled both plugs, they were very dark and looked like they had a little oil on them. Replaced both. Rained like hell right when I was finishing up so I didnt take it out today but it did start right up connected to a hose and ran fine (although it always has). Hopefully the plugs were the problem, I will post back after I run it tomorrow. Thanks again

Back