Logo

9.5hp brass float arm holder question

Snapper Fisho

Regular Contributor
Hi all, to those familiar with the 9.5hp bubble motor, I wanted to ask about the carby on our 1966 sportwin. I overhauled it with a new kit as the original float and needle needed replacing. When I pulled it apart I noticed the brass holder of the float arm where the pivot pin goes through has some play movement. There are two round rivet pins that attach the holder to the carb body but I was a little surprised seeing these not tightly riveted to the body and the bracket loose. All other carbs I have in Johnson/Evinrude, the bracket that holds the float arm is part of the carb body. and there is no play.
I find that if I press the primer bulb a bit too firmly once it hardens a little bit of fuel will come out of the breather hole of the carby indicating the needle is not fully closing but it is a brand new seat and needle. Once it starts and runs there is no fuel overflowing and it is fine. It only happens if the primer bulb is pressed with a bit of force. Never a problem on other outboards I have. Could the loose float holder bracket be the cause of this? Seems like it may have been manufactured like that. Should there be no play in the holder? The rivet pins holding it are not able to be tightened or pushed in further. Thanks

It was NOT manufactured like that.----Myself I would drill and tap for 2 small screws.----Your opinion might vary.

Thanks racerone for confirming.
I thought it was odd when I opened carb up and found the brass holder a bit loose and the two rivet pins not firmly seated in the body. It's my one and only 9.5hp, so had no other to compare it to.

I'm at a loss as to what caused the holder to loosen up. The carby and motor itself is very clean and was sitting around for many years. Still had the original cork float and the needle was one without the wire clip and groove on it.

I'm at a loss as to what caused the holder to loosen up. The carby and motor itself is very clean and was sitting around for many years. Still had the original cork float and the needle was one without the wire clip and groove on it.

Could be heat plus vibration. Or faulty from factory. Had a old Holly 2 barrel on a 302 ford, when hot the float pin fell out. Only one I saw do that, was weird.

Could be heat plus vibration. Or faulty from factory. Had a old Holly 2 barrel on a 302 ford, when hot the float pin fell out. Only one I saw do that, was weird.

Good point. Previous owner said he had intermittent running issues with it for years so maybe from new. Looked like it had hardly been serviced in past. Greased areas had become hard and dry. Full of dust too.

Back