Logo

9.5 hp johnson water tube reinstall.

How's your luck? Some people say they have managed to finagle it back in. But according to the book, the powerhead has to come off. And that means shucking it out of the outer case, a major job for the novice.

Yes it is not a fun job to take outer housing off. Take some pictures and note the order that things must be done. Be sure to replace lower crank seal while it is apart.....why? They are made of rubber and they are destroyed by ethanol fuel. Be sure to anti-seize all nuts and bolts , also the splines where driveshaft enters the crankshaft. These are really sweet and simple motors. Just take note of each of your steps. Make sure the rubber mount where the turn tensioner is located......is solid. You can use your engineering ability to correct any looseness. I often use a section of rubber reinforced gas line in there....cut to size.

Thanks for the info. I knew that my worst fears may be realized i.e. pulling powerhead
I am a novice and it seems undaunting but I am willing to give it a go. Motor runs great and has good compression et al so guess I better get busy.

Aren't you the guy that also asked about the driveshaft? Seems like you have another reason for powerhead removal???

Yep. I'm that guy. One thing leads to another. I'm in the process of removing powerhead now. Videoing as I go so I can reference when I get to point of putting it back together. Thankfully I'm retired and have plenty of time to spend on this project.

Back