Logo

87ish evinrude 70hp vro runs great after i finally get it started, not a battery issue

boatnewbie2013

give me some tips please as this is my first boat. i usually need to use starting fluid sprayed into spark plug holes to get it to turn over. even when i get out on the water (i know, not good and stupid)

Last edited:
Make sure your battery connections at battery and the motor are all shiny bright and tight. Make sure your choke is closing when trying to start and that your starter is turning the engine up at 250/300 rpms. If it's not spinning fast enough for the ignition to create strong spark they don't start well at all. Don't use starting fluid since it has no lubrication and can damage your engine; use a spray bottle with gas and oil mixed.

There are no choke plates on that motor.--It has an injection primer.-----The key must be pushed in while cranking to start this motor.

He's right about the choke plates. Check to see if the primer is in the proper position and make sure that it functions at the ignition and the primer on the engine when you push the key in while starting. If it runs fine, that may be your issue. Agree also with the battery, but that doesn't seem to be your problem. I have an '87 Evinrude 70 VRO.

Funny. I just saw the day...haha. hey, you never know! Well, now that they have that sorted, you can focus on my 1987 70HP I picked up today...

Back