Logo

87 yamaha outboard going into limp/safe mode

Keep in mind that a wire can have continuity while at the same time being chafed to a ground. This would cause the horn to sound even if there was no system component fault.

Sent you my email address.

What do you mean by the ground was bad? An open in the wiring or connectors that were disconnected? If connectors were disconnected I am guessing that some previous fool owner was trying to stop the warning horn from sounding as a stupid solution to a problem.

The start circuit is in no way connected to the warning circuits.

Since the motor is running on premix, and if it is known to be cold or not over heating, I would disconnect the pink wire at the CDI box. Then run the motor and see if it no longer goes into RPM reduction mode. Confirming that the CDI itself is not the problem.

If the motor now runs well with the pink wire to the CDI box disconnected, reattach the pink wire to the CDI box. Then disconnect the two pink wires that share a female bullet connector terminal. Top left on the diagram near the thermoswitch. Turn the key on. Does the horn sound? It should not. Run the motor again to see if the problem returns or if the motor now runs well. This will confirm that the problem is not in the wiring to the horn.
I think I did confirm it is not bad from these sections of wire. That is why I found the spots I sent the pic of to your email. I opened those connections and did a continuity test between each connection on the wiring diagram. The two spots I did not have good wire (continuity) I narrowed to the spots in the picture. I feel like they put those (open continuity spots) in on purpose. Because I was able to disconnect them and reconnect the to ends back together. Which gave me good continuity on all the wire highlighted in pink on the wiring diagram.

Keep in mind that a wire can have continuity while at the same time being chafed to a ground. This would cause the horn to sound even if there was no system component fault.

Sent you my email address.
Missed this reply. I see what you're saying. The wire could have continuity but have a bad spot that connects the circuit to the alarm.
The only time I have heard the alarm sound through all of this is when I turn the oil sensor switch upside down to simulate "Low Oil".
No other time has it sounded

I am now out of good ideas and altitude.
Altitude? :unsure::ROFLMAO:
I plan on putting it on the water in the morning. I put it back together and I will try to eliminate the stuff you have laid out for me. I truly appreciate your effort and time and patience with me. I will drop a line when those processes are done.
Thank you Boscoe

Back