Logo

85 HP Force 1985 (856F5A)

cdjr

Hi all,

I've been fighting this motor all summer long trying to get it to full power. A friend (haha) worked on it and adjusted the linkages to who knows what. I decided to do a link and sync and check the timing, lo and behold, the number one coil is not firing. I switched the number one with number two and it fires so I have determined that it is the coil. My question is: Is there any issue purchasing the CDI versus the Mercury? Quite a bit of difference in price.

Thanks in advance

Standard Magneto, cheaper than the rest.
Standard Magneto Sales Company, Inc.
212 Ash Ave., Wood Dale, Illinois 60191
Phone 1-800-MAGNETO
(1-800-624-6386)
Blue Ignition Coil 5-5170 (FCB 3020E)

Fits On Force Motors

Standard Magneto, cheaper than the rest.
Standard Magneto Sales Company, Inc.
212 Ash Ave., Wood Dale, Illinois 60191
Phone 1-800-MAGNETO
(1-800-624-6386)
Blue Ignition Coil 5-5170 (FCB 3020E)

Fits On Force Motors
Thanks Jerry, I'll give them a call Tuesday morning. I did see them for $77 on Amazon

I was looking at the website. If those prices are correct, I'll buy all three!. Do you happen to know if they sell the spark plug boots also? I'll have to get them too. Thanks again

They went up in price a little but I bought three of them. Don't know if it's overkill but I figured I would play it safe. Do you happen to know the diameter of the spark plug wire? I forgot to ask when I called them and I probably need that to buy the boots.

Not sure of the size.
When you get them, take em to Auto Zone or Napa.
Just remember to get the ones that don't come loose easy.

Called today to follow up. They are out of stock and will not have them for at least a couple of months. Guess I'll order one from Amazon.

Got the coil from Amazon. Put it on and I still do not get spark to number 1. Now I have to think the CD Module is bad. Any way to check? I suppose I could swap out the wiring to see if that does anything. Not ready to spend close to $500 for a new one if that is not the issue.

Got the coil from Amazon. Put it on and I still do not get spark to number 1. Now I have to think the CD Module is bad. Any way to check? I suppose I could swap out the wiring to see if that does anything. Not ready to spend close to $500 for a new one if that is not the issue.
If you have a trigger signal to the cdi and nothing coming to the coil, you have a bad cdi

im going through a very similar issuse i started 5 years ago and gave up im starting back up trying to fix it, i think you have to just check resistances from the trigger

OK, before I blow the whole motor up swapping the packs, it looks like all I would have to do is change the quick disconnects. It looks like there are 2 on each side of the motor. I have pictures but cannot figure out how to post them yet. Says they are too large
Thanks

Well, the nice weather has ended with no change in sight. Pulled the boat out of the water, winterized it and just have to cover it for the winter. All plans are now on hold till spring. I think it may be the pack. I'll revisit in the spring.

Back