Logo

85 hp evinrude -

john3357

I have an older 85 hp evinrude. Last evening while cruising, I completely lost my forward motion. The engine runs but does not go into gear at all. Not a mechanic, so I don't even know where to start.

Not all 85 HP motors are the same.--You must post a year / model number.-----Some are standard shift , some are electric shift , some are electric / hydraulic shift, some are hydraulic assist shift.

Not all 85 HP motors are the same.--You must post a year / model number.-----Some are standard shift , some are electric shift , some are electric / hydraulic shift, some are hydraulic assist shift.

The model # is 853931. I don't know the exact year, but am guessing it is a 1970. Thanks

john, you have a 1973, Hydro-Electric shift. So does it have reverse? Well anyhow, it is supposed to default to forward gear if nothing at all is working. That includes if you shut it off. So, with it not running is it in gear? If not, then something is stuck inside the lower unit. Otherwise, you probably have an electrical problem. The motor actually shifts by hydraulic pressure, but the electric switch tells it WHEN to shift. EDIT: By the way, a 1976 is Power Assisted Shift, not the same at all. Make sure you compare apples with apples.

Last edited:
john, you have a 1973, Hydro-Electric shift. So does it have reverse? Well anyhow, it is supposed to default to forward gear if nothing at all is working. That includes if you shut it off. So, with it not running is it in gear? If not, then something is stuck inside the lower unit. Otherwise, you probably have an electrical problem. The motor actually shifts by hydraulic pressure, but the electric switch tells it WHEN to shift. EDIT: By the way, a 1976 is Power Assisted Shift, not the same at all. Make sure you compare apples with apples.

Thanks for your reply. No, it is not in gear when not running. Do you suggest I remove the lower unit? If so, is there some kind of release for the lower unit? When taking the bolts out, it only slide down a few inches. Thanks.

You have to disconnect the shift cable (wires) before you tear them in two. Then tie a string on them to aid in getting them back up there when you get around to putting it back together. Do I suggest you remove it???? Heck no. not unless you feel able to go the whole way. The sticking part generally is the piston in the oil pump, stuck because of grit in dirty oil. It is a precision fit. The oil pump is the last part to come out of the gearcase and the first part to go back in. STRONGLY suggest a service manual and read it before embarking on this.

You have to disconnect the shift cable (wires) before you tear them in two. Then tie a string on them to aid in getting them back up there when you get around to putting it back together. Do I suggest you remove it???? Heck no. not unless you feel able to go the whole way. The sticking part generally is the piston in the oil pump, stuck because of grit in dirty oil. It is a precision fit. The oil pump is the last part to come out of the gearcase and the first part to go back in. STRONGLY suggest a service manual and read it before embarking on this.

Ok, I may have figured out the problem. I noticed that a couple of the bolts holding the lower unit in place have fallen out. I jacked the lower unit back in place and the boat goes in gear when not running. I am going to try replacing the bolts and run it with ear muffs on to see if it goes into forward and reverse. Suggestions or am I on the right track? thanks

The HYDRO-ELECTRIC shift was last marketed in 1972.-----The 73 model year has the hydraulic assisted mechanical shift.----the 1973 models do not default to forward gear !!

Ok, I may have figured out the problem. I noticed that a couple of the bolts holding the lower unit in place have fallen out. I jacked the lower unit back in place and the boat goes in gear when not running. I am going to try replacing the bolts and run it with ear muffs on to see if it goes into forward and reverse. Suggestions or am I on the right track? thanks

Problem solved. It was the bolts coming out. Once tightened down things work. Once thing however, one of the bolt holes is stripped, can this be rethreaded?

Thank you. Do these engines take any special gear oil??

The 1973 85hp incorporates what is called a Selectric Shift Assist system, meaning that a oil pump exists within the lower unit..... as such it requires "Premium Blend" also know as "Type C".

Back