Logo

84 merc 90 6cyl carb issues

Merc90

Hi, I have an 84’ 90hp 6cyl merc. The motor runs well but I’m having carb issues, I sonic cleaned and rebuilt all 3 carbs. When priming the ball fuel squirts out of the brass fitting on top of the bowl opposite the small black hose that crosses over top of the venturi. When the engine is idling there is very little fuel leakage, when revved fuel shoots out a couple inches. I replaced all needle and seats, if anyone has any suggestions I’d really appreciate it. Thanks

Try lowering the float level 1/16 inch at as time until this goes away. The carb will run perfectly normal with a bit lower setting.

To make this easier, I clamp the crab in my vise while doing this and pump the bulb rock hard.

Jeff

Try lowering the float level 1/16 inch at as time until this goes away. The carb will run perfectly normal with a bit lower setting.

To make this easier, I clamp the crab in my vise while doing this and pump the bulb rock hard.

Jeff

Thank you, I’ve never done this on one of these carbs before, how do I go about lowering the level?

I doubt there is a thermostat.-----I doubt there is a poppit vane on these fine running motors.----Don't waste your time looking !

Hi all, so my 90 has been running pretty well until I decided to lower the idle as it’s a bit high. As a result I’m loosing spark on cylinder #5 but only at very low idle, when I bring the throttle up it kicks in and shoots a nice 2 stroke cloud out the exhaust then proceeds to run great. I swapped plug wires/coils to see if that’s the issue but it stayed at #5. I found a new set of switchboxes for pretty reasonable a price. After putting the 2 new boxes on I’m still having the same issue. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Back