Logo

82 Mariner 40hp idle skip

Checkmate350

I have an annoying skip in a 40hp 2cyl 82mod Mariner. Changed plugs, completely disassymbled and cleaned both carbs, decarbonized engine with PowerTune, did adjustments in water in gear and moving. Still skips randomly. Got clean gas. Has 105 comp both cyls. And it starts right up every time, and runs great just past idle and at top speed. It has one coil that feeds both cyls, could it be a weak coil? this engine sat for about 10 years before I got it. Already run about eight 6gal tanks through it in the last few months and it still does the same idle skip it always did. ????help please???

Thanks Jeff
Thats what I thought too. But opened each one up 1/8 at a time for about 30sec each move while under way in water. still had skip until it started loading up from too rich. I've been building carbs for 30yrs and this one has me stumpped.
Q..could the carbs being just a little out of sync cause a low idle skip? The linkage has no adj. . the adj is on the rod bkt and I have not changed it at all.

Michael

Cracked coil - look for a very small hairline crack OR, run it on a flusher/pail of water at night with the hood off and mist some water (spray bottle) back near the coil/wires - get some nice "northern lights" if there is a "leak".

Alternately, a trigger that is starting to die would also give you the same symptom...

I plan to check the coil tonite, sounds like that could be the culprit.
Q.."trigger" are you talking about the "switch box"? 84872T

thanks

Juat got through checking in the dark for coil sparks. No sparks or light show except for one spark on the plug connector when i sprayed it real good. but only saw it once. sprayed it several more times and soaked the whole coil and plug wires area. no more sparks or "northern lights"....
:confused:

but only saw it once. sprayed it several more times and soaked the whole coil and plug wires area. no more sparks or "northern lights"....:confused:
Continued spraying probably shorted it to ground so no more light show.

Back