Logo

80 Johnson 115 wont idle, fuel pouring out of bottom carburator

rberry3000

Was having electrical issues and I believe those have been fixed but now the engine wont idle and gas is just pouring from the bottom carburator

You need to look at the float / float valves and you might as well do both carburetors.-----If you find greenish goo in there you will have to make sure that the 4 orifice plugs in the float bowls are clean.-----How did the motor run for you last year ?----Or is this a " covid special " that sat unused in a field for 10 years ?-----Seems there are lots of those that are sold to eager buyers today.

You need to look at the float / float valves and you might as well do both carburetors.-----If you find greenish goo in there you will have to make sure that the 4 orifice plugs in the float bowls are clean.-----How did the motor run for you last year ?----Or is this a " covid special " that sat unused in a field for 10 years ?-----Seems there are lots of those that are sold to eager buyers today.

The carbs were rebuilt about 3 months ago, prior to that we had been using the boat last year all summer long and it then sat for 3 months after it started having an issue which is why we took it to the mechanic but he as well as all the shops around here were backed up so I had to wait til he got to me.

He rebuilt the carbs and did a sync up, he said he noticed one of the cylinders was not firing when he initially took it for a test run but then it started firing fine and while he had it it stayed running fine.

I got it back and took it out once, it did have the electrical issue but then smoothed out after a few minutes. a few weeks later we took it out again and the electrical issue became more of an issue.

I replaced the ignition coils because I noticed one of them was leaking spark on lead wire.

I also swapped power packs out with 2 I had from another motor.

seems like the electrical issue has resolved as I am now getting consistent spark on all cylinders and last week it sat and idled pretty smoothly for 30 minutes.

This week I went to start it and the issue with the fuel pouring out of the bottom carb is happening and the engine wont idle, I can rev it up and it sounds great but once I back down the throttle it stalls out.

Back