Logo

80 hp evinrude starflite

paulc123

"I have just purchased an 1968

"I have just purchased an 1968 alpex with an evinrude starflite 80 hp... model # 80683c.. the engine looks to be in great shape and i am told that it ran great when taken out of water.. But i have no spark.. Replaced coil, checked the points and everything seems to be in good shape..also i just ordered a service and parts manual for motor.. Anyone with any info or help would be much appreciated??"

"That's a 1966 80hp Evinru

"That's a 1966 80hp Evinrude. I assume that it has automotive ignition. If you have voltage going to the coil, and the points are clean and set on the high lobe so that a .020 gauge passes thru but a .022 does not..... I would suspect a shorted rotor arcing out to the metal shaft upon which it sits.

Note that there are two different type rotors.

The automotive type rotor simply has a normal s squared off end.... 580338

The magneto type rotor has a weird looking end, sort of shaped like a crude hook.... 580260"

"Thanks guys.. it is the autom

"Thanks guys.. it is the automotive type and i will check the voltage to the coil, im just too excited to get this baby up and running, i just gotta slow down and take my time... If you guys have any links or any other info on this motor that would be awesome thanks..."

Back