Logo

79 Johnson Remote box overheat horn false alarm?

Blackshaw

Okay, I've seen a little bit about this issue a couple of places, but I would like to start a better thread about it. I have a 1979 Johnson power head 140 HP. After running at the lake for a little while this alarm horn inside the remote box starts going off.. its weird that it only does it at low speeds when I first restart the boat.. as soon as the key bumps the on position it starts going off.. after I get it started and get going up to speed it goes away.. New water pump on the lower unit.. the tell hole is shooting out a nice cool stream.

I see that one of my temperature units is spliced together, so I pulled the splice apart and the alarm stopped finally. I did this right before loading up and leaving the lake, so I am not 100% sure if it really stopped for good. I put a new ignition before coming to the lake and I checked all the wires closely to make sure something inside the remote box wasn't causing this. It came right back after putting the new ignition on.

I read somewhere that this alarm can also go off if it senses that the trim sending unit is up I guess to warn you not to start your motor while trimmed up out of the lake.. I am not sure if this is true. If you know if this alarm is in any way associated with the trim system please let me know! I put this 140hp motor onto my boat off another and I forgot to get the trim gauge. I don't have my trim sending unit wired up or the trim gauge. Could this be causing the alarm to go off in that way? I guess it is possible there is a thermostat issue causing the side of the motor that I pulled the spliced temperature sender off of to over heat and pulling that splice is why it stopped buzzing. I am going to go ahead and change the thermostats next just to be safe since this engine wasn't tagged since 2011 when I got it. The thing runs amazing though and never skips a beat even with this stupid false alarm going off. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
Test the horn to see if it might be faulty.....

When you turn the key to the ON position (engine not running) and the horn sounds off constant and steady... remove the TAN wire from the horn. If the horn continues to sound with that TAN wire removed, the horn is faulty.

okay I will try that. It is just strange how itd oesnt start doing it till after I been running around the lake for a bit. seems like if the horn itself was faulty it would go off all the time.. but maybe not. I will test it for sure! The new horns are expensive! I hope it isnt the issue.

Last edited:
okay I will try that. It is just strange how itd oesnt start doing it till after I been running around the lake for a bit. seems like if the horn itself was faulty it would go off all the time.. but maybe not. I will test it for sure! The new horns are expensive! I hope it isnt the issue.

The horn, being electronic, not straight electric, (stretching the issue slightly) may have a mind of its own. I've encountered some weird happenings with them.

Expensive? Yeah, outrageously so! If the horn is faulty, the work around is to install a two wire horn which would not have the automatic self test feature... BUT... running a wire from the TAN wire to a (temporary "On" spring loaded) toggle switch, then to ground would allow you to test the horn whenever you please simply by flipping the toggle.

No way I would replace that overpriced piece of plastic with the original item.

Back