Logo

79 Johnson 115 stator question

I am looking at buying a 1979 Johnson 115 (115TL79R) with power tilt/trim that needs a new stator. I have a 1978 115 (115ML78C) without power tilt/trim with a working stator and timer base. I am noticing that motors from these year used a 6 amp stator if there was no tilt/trim and a 10 amp if it had tilt/trim. My question is could you run a 6 amp on the 1979 with tilt/trim and be ok? Is there a difference in the rest of the electronics or just the stator?

Thank You

racerone,
Is there anything else that needs to be replaced in going with the lower amp stator? As far as i can tell the rest of the ignition parts have the same numbers for either the 10 or 6 amp stator, but I just want to check before I damage something else. I was also told that the mechanic that had been working on this motor recommended to change the stator and the rotor because they looked worn. I am not familiar with the term rotor on an outboard and cannot seem to find it in the party diagrams. Is there another term for something like this? I am thinking that it might be the timer base?
Thank you

Last edited:
The stator and timer base are pricey items.----I do not understand how your mechanic can say " they look worn "----------The motor will run the same with the 6 amp stator and if you use power trim with some common sense ( sparingly ) you will have no problems.------You will not damage anything by installing the 6 amp stator.----Before buying a new stator , the old one should be tested.----Too many folks just want to replace parts as a guess or by what the neighbor said to do.

I don't know what "worn" could be either as I am just going off of what the seller told me his mechanic said. I should have working parts for all of the ignition components from my parts motor that was working fine until the cylinder melted down. I have just purchased a DVA adapter so I can test out my 6 amp stator with. If I do purchase this newer motor I plan to replace the impeller and lower end lube as well as pressure test it. I would also clean the carbs and probably throw in a new fuel pump kit. Other than that I do not plan on throwing any more money at it unless it is absolutely necessary.

Back