Logo

79 Evinrude V4 115

Lance Mitchell

I have a 76 ranger with a 79 evinrude 115. Last 3 years has started and ran great. Last week it started running rough and stalled on me after driving at a slow idle for about 10 minutes. Would not start back. Tried again 20 mins later and it started and ran a little rough for a few mins then quit. Got the boat home and hooked up to hose. The key is now very hard to turn and when it cranks and starts I can hear the starter is still winding. It will run real rough for about 20 seconds like its struggling for fuel then die. Even after it dies I can hear the starter motor spinning. Not sure if it could be the starter or ignition switch. Key was never hard to turn until it stalled on me on water the first time. Any ideas?

Sounds like a new ignition switch is needed.----Do that before you damage things by sending 12 volts where it is not wanted.

Ok thanks. May be a dumb question but can I pick up a universal ignition switch from autozone or do I need to order a Johnson/evinrude ignition switch?

you can order the correct ignition switch from this website. that is the best way to go. Check for water in the fuel system and check the spark plugs
you will easily see the water present if any. The starter if it is spinning with the flywheel it probably wont last long you might want to look into buying another starter.

So I pulled ignition switch, replaced with Johnson/evinrude 6 terminal push to choke switch. Boat fired up an ran great. Had it out for a couple hours last night seems back to normal. With this motor being 40 years old would I gain any benefit from replacing original coils and power-packs or should I stick to the if it ain't broke don't fix it routine?

Back