Logo

76 Sea Ray w /Mercruiser Stern Drive won't start

I have a 1976 Sea Ray weekender with a Mercruiser 188 Stern Drive. It has not been started in 2 1/2 years. I can't get any fuel to the carbeurator. The boat had 2 fuel tanks. I don't see a switch for switching tanks. The left tank is 1/4 full, and the right tank is empty. The fuel pump has only a ground wire, so I assume it is not electric. The motor cranks pretty strong, but won't start. I was going to pour some gas in the carbuerator, but I am not sure what that will prove. I know zero about boat engines. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or if there is a boat problem.

I don't see a switch for switching tanks. I know zero about boat engines.
You need to take it to a pro or a friend who is knowledgeable because there are too many issues here; carb may need work, engine ignition needs tested and/or worked upon, engine oil needs serviced, fuel filters need serviced, old fuel needs pumped out, Merc. 188...has heat exchanger? It needs to be checked and serviced, OD needs inspected, serviced and new impeller installed, all bellows and shift cables need care inspection...replace if needed.

2 1/2 year old fuel, pump it and dump it
tanks require a way to switch them, electric solenoid or a manual valve
mechanical pumps require no wires, electric ones need 2, pos andd neg
filling the bowl allows the engine to run for 30 sec -1 min.
a clogged anti-syphon will prevent fuel flow.

This is a mechanical fuel pump. I blew air through the hose from the fuel filter back into the tank, and I got a blast of fuel back. I bypassed the fuel filter, but get the same thing. I pulled the fuel pump, bench tested it, and it gives a strong output of fuel on the second pump. i was wondering if it might need more than a 1/4 tank of gas to work since it has been empty for so long. Not sure where the anti-siphon valve would be? There is a shut off manual valve between the hose and the input to the fuel filter, but I didn't see anything else. There is a hose that vents the fuel tank. I put a little gas directly in the carbureator, and it started right away, but of course, it turned right off.

the fuel came back when you put the air hose to the fuel line because of the anti-siphon valve Guy mentioned...it should be on the top of the pickup tube, where the hose barb for the fuel line connects...

You can easily isolated fuel tank issues by carefully substituting an outboard tank .... if you don't know what 'carefully' requires, suggest not even attempting it... one mistake could be very damaging.

I know zero about boat engines. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or if there is a boat problem.
Carelessly venturing into an unfamiliar area where contolled explosives are used will get you killed. Take it to a pro or get someone w/knowledge to help guide you. You could cause more damage doing the things you have and are about to do.

Back