Logo

76 johnson 35 hp 35R76G lower unit shift rod problem

want2bcaptain

I bought my first 14 ft. Sea king aluminum boat with a 1976 35 hp johnson 2 stroke 35R76G. I also have the service manual but didnt find specifically how to screw this rod back in and that is my problem right now. I took it out because I couldnt pull or push it by hand and thought it might be because it was caked with black stuff and I wanted to clean it off. I cleaned it up but now I cant get it back in to screw it down. Something ( maybe sleeve) is in the way and wont move back into place for me. I tried with a piece of wire but it just doesn't seem to move back into place. Pics (best I could) below. TIA20240229_141001~2.jpg20240229_135216~2.jpg20240229_135209~2.jpg

Prop must be turning when you try and shift with motor not running.-----Or perhaps take this lower unit apart for inspection / seal kit.-----Or perhaps there was a reason motor was sold.

Prop must be turning when you try and shift with motor not running.-----Or perhaps take this lower unit apart for inspection / seal kit.-----Or perhaps there was a reason motor was sold.
The whole package - boat,motor,fish finder,trolling motor and trailer was $800 so good deal even if i had to work on the motor to get it running. I thought so anyway

Back