Logo

'76 evinrude 70 hp cuts off when put in gear

rudeproblems

I have a 76 evinrude 70 hp that will cut off when in lake and put in gear. I have had the carbs rebuilt by mach. had it in lake once after that did fine next time problem started. have replaced fuel lines, new fuel, sparkplugs, cleaned out gas can, checked compresson 130# on all three cylinders, fuel pump is at 6lbs. presser . It will idle fine just want run in gear. At witts end please reply with suggestions.

Last edited:
Are all carburetor linkages attached ?---Check for a spark that will jump a gap of 7/16" on all 3 .------------Sounds like it may be running on 2 cylinders.----Also check gear oil for water and metal bits.

My '75 V4 was doing the same thing. found it had flooded due to choke partially in manual mode. Would run on fast idle lever, but not rev up, and would die when placed in gear. Straighten out the chock at the dock, but still would die in gear. Removed the fuel hose and after a few minutes it took hold and replaced the hose and ran just fine.
A week later it did just as Racer said when running on the hose. One plug was cold to the touch and no change when wire was pulled. It had OK compression and plenty of spark. Finally, removed the carbs and found nothing out of the ordinary..no varnish or trash, jets clean, float set right, valve seats ok. Blew air thru jets and saw nothing come out. Shot carb cleaner thru passages and saw nothing.
Put her back together and she ran fine. Still don't know what was actually went wrong.

Last edited:
Back