Logo

71 9.5hp points cam offset

guy48065

New-to-me '71 9.5 has an issue. I just brought this home a week ago and I'm going through it fixing problems before testing it in a tank. I popped off the flywheel to see what condition the ignition is in and found everything to be as-new. Then I noticed that the points cam is offset relative to the keyway. How in the world would it get like this considering there's virtually no load on this cam?

In order to fix it do I remove the ignition plate and use a pr to pop off the cam, then tap it back on in the correct position? That's it?

I couldn't attach a photo.

I have no idea how it got that way. You will have to remove it and reinstall it correctly (if it isn't damaged or broken)

I thought with the cam rotated against the woodruff that it would be jammed on. Actually it had some wiggle and I was able to remove it with some light prying. I tilted the woodruff key and slid the cam down over it and the key now fills the slot in the cam. I've ordered an OEM replacement just to be safe but the motor has been started & runs good. I have a couple other issues to take care of but things are looking promising for this 52yo motor.

Yes they are great motors, not a better fishing motor to be had. Typical things to check are water pump impeller condition, motor mounts, coils, lower unit seals....check under prop for fishing line. Know that these are needle bearing motors and I run 2 oz per gallon with Amsoil premium fully synthetic 100:1 pre mix, or their Saber 2 stroke, (getting 64:1 as mixed), and non oxy fuel. Be careful and good fishin'.

Back