Logo

'71/'72 Model 110 Merc 9.8 Stator Coils

Jerry1234

Can anyone tell me what the ohms range is for the stator high speed(336-4468A1) and the low speed(336-4467A1) coils? My high shows 169 ohms and the low shows no continuity. I live in Canada and my S/N tag is on the port side and stamped 7000026 (which doesn't match anything I have found online). The motor has a Thunderbolt Ignition and I have narrowed the year down to '71 or '72 (the '70 has a different ignition coil mount bracket and covers; the '73 has a different carb). The carb and ignition system on my motor seem to match the US S/N range of 3263263 - 3482752. I would really like to get a service manual if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks for any replies.

Does it have points? If so, it's the dreaded Phase Maker nightmare.

Jeff
Yes it does and they were pitted really bad. I ordered a new set that arrived yesterday. I also have a new condensor on the way. I have heard the horror stories about the Phase Maker. The word "Lightning" is cast into the left side of the block along the top cylinder. The ignition module is stamped 336-4516 and I don't have a clue how to test it. I really need a service manual!!

You will need to purchase the 1966-1974 Mercury master service manual. They are available new and used. Also, it is perfectly normal for those points to be badly pitted on that ignition design and work perfectly. Your point's insulators are often the culprit for no spark from cracking and tracking.

Last edited:
Yes, I drill out the insulators and install a sleeve. It is an improvement in the design....have permanently repaired many motors this way over the decades. Perhaps others may argue, but Mercury was having troubles in their ignition designs/engineering.

Take a pic of the magneto. I do not remember phasemakers having condensers. They are usually in the molded part of the stator non replaceable.

Yes, I drill out the insulators and install a sleeve. It is an improvement in the design....have permanently repaired many motors this way over the decades. Perhaps others may argue, but Mercury was having troubles in their ignition designs/engineering.
My meter had a bad lead. My stator coil low speed reads 4782 ohms and the high reads 174 ohms. I checked both insulators with a magnifying glass and they look fine with no discoloration. My ignition coils are on the bench and I get 0.8 and 1.1 ohms across the primary connectors. I don't get any reading on the secondary between the + or - connector and the plug tower. I get 546 and 563 ohms between the plug tower and the mounting bracket. Is the secondary circuit shorted in both coils? Seems weird!

Back