Logo

70HP 1982 Johnson Outboard and 9.9 1974 Johnson Outboard on 1981 16ft Sylvan Alum Boat

patiolatern

Regular Contributor
Just a general question on the above 2 motors and boat combination.
Any special issues to watch for?
Parts readily available for both?
Is the Sylvan Aluminum boat decent?
Any known leaking issues on the Sylvan?

Just looking for any feedback or opinions on any of this! Thanks!

70HP 1982 Johnson Outboard
9.9HP 1974 Johnson Outboard

The Aluminum boat and both motors look very clean and I plan on taking it out for a test drive with the owner. I will check compression etc but everything looks very clean and maintained. $1800 was spent on the 70HP about two years ago but it was not anything major as per current owner. He felt like he was taken advantage of. This boat and motors has been stored indoors for the most part and that's why the current owner had bought it.

Added: Found a little oil on floor under motor and traced it back to a trim cylinder. Oil on the top of cylinder it seems. How bad is this on a 1982 70HP?

The hull looks great but there was a repair done on the Boat where it connects to the trailer winch and It had to be replaced. The repair looks good. The previous owner had an electric winch and this may have caused to much stress on the boat connection if they were dragging the boat rather floating the boat on to the trailer.

The current owner is looking for $6,000 cdn including some accessories and a very nice trailer.

Thanks again for reading and look forward to any opinions!

Last edited:
I would have no trouble finding the parts for either motor.----But you might not be able to find parts overnight for the 9.9 HP!

1974 Johnson 9.9hp had a lot of problems even when new. Some hate it, some love it. Let's just say I was the guy in the service shop trying to make it run when even the factory couldn't.

Back