Logo

70bEvinrude 115 misfires mid to full throttle

marty

" I have a 70' Evinrude 11

" I have a 70' Evinrude 115 (model # 115083D) that seems to be losing it's spark from 2600rpm to full throttle. With an inductive timing light connected to any one of the plug wires, the flashes begin to get eratic(few and far between) from part to full throttle. I have cleaned,checked and double checked the fuel system, including the carbs(H/S jets,float level,and S/S needle adj.),and a new fuel pump.I also cleaned the distributor head and rotor and checked for cracks.Wires check out fine,as well as new plugs gapped at .035. Compression is 123-125 psi on all four cyl's. When I tested the ign. coil output I got nothing,no matter how close to ground I put the wire. Could this be the problem? The only tester I have is a volt ohm meter. Can it be used to check the pulse pack,rectifier,ign.coil,and the other sealed box over the pulse pack? Thanks in advance for any help! "

Does anyone have an idea what

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

"Marty.... You say you've

"Marty.... You say you've checked the wires, but double check the small wires that lead from the p/pack to the timer base under the flywheel. I have encountered many engines of your type whereas those wires break due to constant flexing. This results in a make and break setup where the wires touch at low rpms, but as the timer base moves to the higher rpms (spark advance), the wires part internally and the ignition fails.

When you check the spark, have the s/plugs removed. The spark should jump a 1/4" gap.

You can test the voltage going to the p/pack with a volt meter... it should be 12v.

Joe
"

"Marty.... In addition to the

"Marty.... In addition to the above, you can test that type powerpack as follows:

If it fails whereas you have no spark and stays that way, it can be easily and cheaply tested by yourself. Purchase a small 12v bulb (looks like a flashlight bulb) from a automotive type story. Solder two wires to the bulb... one to the side of the bulb (grd), and one to the center contact (pos). Connect the wire that is attached to the center of the bulb to the wire that leads from the pack to the primary lead of the coil. I believe that's a blue wire. Connect the other lead from the bulb to a ground somewhere on the powerhead. With the key on, and the SPARK PLUGS OUT, crank the engine and look closely (CLOSELY) at that bulb. If it glows ever so faintly, the pack is okay (at that moment anyway). If it doesn't glow, the p/pack is no good and will require replacing.

Joe
"

Back